Thursday, September 20, 2007

week 9, thing 23: program summary

It seems like, after (almost) completing this program, that web 1.0 was all about finding. How fantastic Google was, bringing back 23 million results at every search. But now, web 2.0 seems like it is all about sharing --- how can I pass this site onto my friends? How can I highlight this for others?

It was rough to squeeze this program in and finish on time (although now, of course, we have an extension ha ha), but I think that is partly due to the 9 weeks taking place primarily in the summer, when summer reading club is in full swing, staff are on vacation, and really, let's not kid ourselves, we're not getting a whole lot done. I would have a pocket of time and catch up, MAYBE get one item ahead and then very quickly fall behind again.

After completing this list, I don't portend to be an expert on any of these technologies. I do appreciate the exposure to these tools though, to see what is out there, and what people are doing. It is unfortunately difficult to see what many people are doing because our of the restriction on high bandwidth sites.

I also appreciate the chance to look up from the daily grind, think about the implications of what these new tools mean for public libraries, and how they will impact users in the future.

1 comment:

Rich Sigwald said...

I love your blog, its great. I feel the same way on a bunch of things, especially the point you bring up about about keeping books "just in case" and that why keep that one book with 40 encyclopedia and 100 journal articles don't cover the topic well enough for you. I think this is a big point in J nonfiction with, especially the books on geography and biographies. Why do we have like 10 different books on Thomas Edison that are only 20 pages long? Peace out sista